From the Lone Star to the Free State: our new adventure

Sunday, 26 May, 2013

It’s been a month and a half since I last blogged and wow, do we ever have some catching up to do. I’m going to start with some really big news.

I’ve known since the day I got to Houston my time here was temporary. I am a Northerner to the core, and haven’t taken to living in the South. I didn’t know when, but I knew The Scientist’s career would take us elsewhere, and I’ve resisted putting down any real roots because I knew eventually I’d have to yank them out and move on. And eventually, it turns out, is less than 70 days from now.

My husband, my brilliant, passionate, dedicated, amazing husband, has been offered a faculty position at The University of Kansas, and soon he will be not just The Scientist but also The Professor. I am so proud of him, but I’m also so proud of us. It took a lot of work and sacrifice on both our parts to get us to where we are, but it was completely worth it because we’ve been working towards this goal for almost our entire relationship and it has paid off.

At the beginning of August we’re moving to Lawrence, KS, a funky, liberal, artsy college town. The two of us visited there earlier this month, and I completely fell in love. There’s a shop that sells cross stitch supplies on the main street downtown, and two doors down from that is a yarn shop. And across the street from them both is the best fabric store I’ve ever been in in my whole life. There are bookstores with shop kitties, and amazing food, and a real midwest farmer’s market, and so much going on that I’m going to stop myself before you get bored. I met Laura from The Stashbuckler, who is awesome, and went to her knitting group, and I’m counting down the days until I get to see her and the other ladies every week.

Charlie is so excited to live somewhere with snow. We came home with stories of all the things in the area we want to do with him. We showed him pictures of our new house (I’m going to have my own craft room again!) and I took pictures of his new school so he can see where he’ll be going this fall.

I’ll be back soon with details on all the craftiness I’ve been up to (and there’s been A LOT), but I wanted to share this wonderful news with you in a post on its own. August cannot come soon enough.

1. Sunday, 26 May, 2013 1:00 pm

That is so exciting! I am glad for your family, nice work!

2. Sunday, 26 May, 2013 4:57 pm

I can’t wait either! 🙂

3. Sunday, 26 May, 2013 9:00 pm

Congratulations! Moving is so exciting, and it sounds like Lawrence will be rad! I’m excited to see and hear about your new home.

4. Doreen permalink
    Monday, 27 May, 2013 8:54 am

I’m glad for you that things are falling in nicely for your family and you!

5. Monday, 27 May, 2013 9:18 am

Congrats on the new position and move! I can’t imagine why you’d want to leave Houston. Kidding, I can. Houston is like a fixture, a reference point, in every Texan’s mind. We love it but it’s not always the greatest place to live. Lawrence sounds just right. I’m sure you’ll love it.

6. Monday, 27 May, 2013 9:49 am

Hooray! That is great news! I’m a Midwesterner, too, and I love the seasons, the farmer’s markets, and all that jazz. Good luck with the move!

7. Monday, 27 May, 2013 4:55 pm

Congrats! I’m excited to see Lawrence through your eyes.

8. Monday, 27 May, 2013 9:36 pm

Congrats! As someone who travels to Houston quite a bit for work, I think August sounds like a fabulous time to move north! Can’t wait to see all of the crafty things you’ve been up to lately.

9. Tuesday, 28 May, 2013 12:03 am

so exciting! congratulations! I’m super jealous of all the awesome crafty stores near you =D

Tuesday, 28 May, 2013 7:20 am

It IS exciting news! And you will even be several hundred miles closer to us…Wish we were there to help with the move honey. Time to close the door on Texas! xoxox

11. Tuesday, 28 May, 2013 2:32 pm

Congratulations on all your changes!

12. Tuesday, 28 May, 2013 6:11 pm

Super Congratulations! What great success for all of you! I have a good friend in Lawerence, and it’s an absolutely delightful place. I know you will all thrive along with your crafting. Wishing you the best!