Finish or frog

Friday, 26 October, 2012

Like half the knitters on the planet, this spring I cast on a Color Affection shawl.

The colors I chose were inspired by this picture. Off-white, light greenish-blue, and dark brown – it’s a combination I couldn’t get out of my head. I bought the closest color matches I could get in MadelineTosh Merino Light – Fawn, Mineral, and Twig.

I put the shawl down in May, and decided to pick it back up the other night. After looking at it for a few minutes I put it away again. The colors that looked so great in the picture aren’t speaking to me in shawl form – I feel like the brown is too much of a contrast. I’m considering frogging it. What do you think?

1. Kara permalink
    Friday, 26 October, 2012 7:50 am

What about just frogging to the start of the brown & using a different color for the third? Maybe a lighter brown?

2. Vicki ask dragonfly7673 permalink
    Friday, 26 October, 2012 7:58 am

I like the colors (matches my living room) and you are on the last section. Will you wear it or do you know someone that will? Otherwise, as Kara suggests, change the brown only.

3. RatiganKnits permalink
    Friday, 26 October, 2012 8:37 am

I feel like that shawl is all about monochromatic color schemes or color families. Like drk brown, lt brown, and cream. It’s a has bit of a sophistication to it. Brown, cream, and red. Green, green, and blue. If the green were a more olive green then it would work. I would never write these things, but you asked. I love your stuff—go with your gut.

4. Friday, 26 October, 2012 10:51 am

I think swapping out the brown might be the way to go! What about a darker blue?

Another idea — look at finished projects on Ravelry and see if you like the finished products that have these colors or this level of contrast.

It’s lovely, though, and if you’re on the last section, it probably would be good to just finish it up!

5. Laura Lino permalink
    Friday, 26 October, 2012 11:33 am

It’s not even that it doesn’t look good, though I voted to frog, but that you aren’t feeling it. After all that work, you should LOVE it!

Friday, 26 October, 2012 12:55 pm

I really like the contrast of the darker brown. Maybe it has to be finished to really see how you like it. xoxooxox

Friday, 26 October, 2012 12:56 pm

Oh! I love the birdie! Is it a pin?

8. Friday, 26 October, 2012 2:19 pm

Love the birdie, but I agree, the brown sort of takes over. I agree with poster #3, I am making mine in navy, blue and blue gray.

9. Charlotte Rutland permalink
    Friday, 26 October, 2012 4:55 pm

I, too am working on one with a soft beigey gray, a soft coral, both close to the same value and a darker heathered greeny blue. I’m wondering the same thing. It’s really hard to “see” in advance how the colors and values will look in rows. I’m a quilter also and my very favorite part of the process is picking colors. I am frequently asked by other quilters my opinion on colors and to help them pick them. Yarn in knitted projects is a different challenge. Colors that look great nestled next to each other often lose that wonderful effect when blended in a striped pattern. I voted to frog it not because of your colors but because the value of the brown is too deep for a good blend. Same color, lighter value would have probably worked better. Love your blog.

10. Friday, 26 October, 2012 5:02 pm

Maybe changing the proportions would help! Check out this fascination post with variations in the numbers of ridges. It is about doing it with two colors instead of three and the photos are great. It could apply here too: in the third section, do two ridges of each color and one ridge of brown. Going to a slightly lighter brown would be less harsh. We need to see a photo of the whole thing including the top solid wedge to really give an opinion!

11. Aimee permalink
    Friday, 26 October, 2012 10:12 pm

I love the birdie and the colors you picked.

12. Stacey permalink
    Saturday, 27 October, 2012 2:42 am

I hated my own color affection during the process, ack, but I am pleased with final project. I think it is hard to be sure of the final project while working on it. So many of the shawls are contrasty and really look great. I say soldier on, you might be surprised.

13. Saturday, 27 October, 2012 3:40 am

I think it’s gorgeous as it is, actually!

14. Sunday, 28 October, 2012 6:27 am

I agree the brown is too strong in the shawl. It would work better if it were less present, like in the birdie.

15. Monday, 29 October, 2012 2:48 am

I love to colours (and voted finish) but if you really don’t feel it, you shouldn’t force yourself on. Do what your gut tells you.

16. Wednesday, 31 October, 2012 1:34 pm

Its all about taste :))

17. Thursday, 1 November, 2012 1:32 pm

I like it, but if you don’t think you’ll wear it or know someone who will, then frog. My vote was finish, though!

18. Pam permalink
    Sunday, 11 November, 2012 1:10 pm

I voted to frog even though I love the colors. I just would try to stripe it differently. Bigger chunks of the off white and aqua and less brown or even a lighter brown. I do love all your designs and projects! Hugs!!