Goodale

Tuesday, 21 August, 2012

The details I have for this project are pretty slim.

Needle size? No idea. When I cast on? Roughly early July 2010. The yarn I used? That I know – Madelinetosh DK in Kelp. How much of it? Not a clue. The size? Your guess is as good as mine.

Goodale was one of a number of small sweaters I knit that summer. As soon as the pattern came out I fell in love with it, and cast on as soon as I could.

Usually I have some memories of knitting my projects. Places I worked on it, what was going on in my life, any changes I made to the pattern. But for this one I’m mostly coming up blank. I think maybe I made it a little longer than the pattern called for? This was back when I still lived in Idaho, and I went to a lot of yard sales that summer so it was probably stuffed in my bag and worked on between sales.

The only real memory I have of working on Goodale was knitting the icord for the button loop while visiting Santa Fe in August 2010. I put it off for several weeks after the rest of the sweater was finished because I hate knitting icord, and one evening on my trip I forced myself to do it.

Why didn’t I finish it? I had already blocked it once, and all that was left was to sew four inch seams on both of the pockets, then lightly block it again. I don’t mind sewing seams. I guess I thought it would be hard? It wasn’t. It took maybe a half hour, tops.

With this sweater my Ravellenics were over with three projects finished. Hopefully next time (Sochi 2014!) I won’t have any long neglected WIPs to work on. I don’t want to put off a project this long again. To me, one of the best parts of knitting is casting off, quickly doing all the finishing, and then trying your project on for the first time. A two year delay made for quite an anti-climactic finish.

Goodale – Ravelry link

1. Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 9:16 am

The color is beautiful! I feel like I will feel anti-climactic with a few of my UFOs. I really need to just finish them and move on with my life. 😉 Oh, I really love these buttons you chose, too!

2. Judi Koeller permalink
    Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 11:16 am

Love the sweater, love the face!

3. Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 11:59 am

it looks great on you! I thought about making that sweater, but then I realised it’s not the right sweater type for my body – but looking at your pictures, I don’t really care and I want to make it anyway!

4. Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 2:22 pm

It turned out beautifully! What a gorgeous color, and it looks like a great layering piece.

5. Vivienne permalink
    Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 3:04 pm

I really love the whole thing…the color, the buttons. It’s got a bit of a cool retro vibe to it, maybe I’ll give it a go! Beautiful!

6. Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 3:13 pm

Fabulous color, and I love the buttons you chose! Pretty much all of my projects end up anticlimactic, which is too bad, because there really is nothing quite as pleasant as finishing a project, blocking it, and wearing it within a few days of casting off.

• Monday, 27 August, 2012 6:16 pm

Thank you! I really love the combination of the teal and the yellow together. Choosing buttons is so much fun!

Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 3:27 pm

LOVE the color! So cute! AND…pictures of you wearing it – yea!

8. Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 5:12 pm

As everyone else has said: color, fabulous; buttons, amazing. Whyyy do we torture ourselves over finishing?!