The best thing in the whole world

Tuesday, 14 August, 2012

There are some kids who do not like handknitted items. Charlie is not one of those kids.

A consummate charmer, he’s talked me out of hats and scarves, mostly things he wears around the house for fun since Houston doesn’t really have winters. Charlie loves to help me while I’m knitting, handing me things like tape measures and row counters, even when I haven’t asked for them, and he always wants to know what I’m working on.

And yarn. Charlie loves yarn. He’s quite the expert at stash organization, and even though we just organized all of my yarn in June, he assures me that we need to do it again. Who am I to argue?

On Saturday, shortly after arriving home from his trip, I told him I had knit him a surprise. He grabbed my hand and covered his eyes, and I led him out into the living room.

I don’t know what he was expecting. A hat? Maybe socks? He’s never had a handknitted toy before, so when I handed him this guy he seemed a little confused at first.

He knew what it was – an anglerfish, a sea creature he’s been talking about a lot lately. He looked it over, examining the lure and and teeth, playing with the fins, and then he declared it the best thing in the whole world.

Within minutes Charlie, The Scientist, and I were playing a game where his other toys would go up to the anglerfish’s lure, attracted by the light, and then the anglerfish would eat them. Charlie’s laughter filled the house.

It’s a good thing I took some pictures before he got home – a few days later and Mr. Anglerfish is looking slightly more loved. Not that I mind – I’m so glad these two are having such a great time together.

Charlie is already asking which sea creature I’m going to knit him next.

When I decided to knit this I wasn’t sure what yarn I was going to use, save for the lure and the teeth. I remembered seeing that Bernat made a glow in the dark yarn, and I knew it would be perfect for this project. They’ve stopped producing it, but I was able to track down a skein on Ravelry.

I’m so glad I was able to find a skein because I really think it adds a special element to this toy. But OH MY GOD. Painful is the word I would use to describe knitting with it. It has the worst acrylic squeak you can imagine, and there’s so little stretch that even doing a k2tog was challenging.

Now to decide which toy to knit next!

Anglerfish – Ravelry link

1. Tuesday, 14 August, 2012 7:58 am

Oh, that is the cutest anglerfish ever! And I love to see all the love Charlie has for it. There are some fun patterns for squid out there…

2. Tuesday, 14 August, 2012 10:50 am

That is so cute! And I love his delight with it. 🙂

3. Tuesday, 14 August, 2012 11:51 am

I love your angler fish! I made one myself 2 or 3 years ago, but it was not nearly as loved as yours is and will be!

4. Tuesday, 14 August, 2012 12:37 pm

That is *beyond* cute. 🙂

Tuesday, 14 August, 2012 2:16 pm

Oh that is really cute!! Be sure to tell Charlie that you made me a most wonderful squirrel that may not “look” as loved as his anglerfish but I assure you it is. What a lucky fella!!

6. Tuesday, 14 August, 2012 6:51 pm

So cute, the both of them!
    I had a skein of that squeaky glow-in-the-dark yarn. Definitely not pleasant to knit with. But I used it to put a fair isle pattern on the cuff of some slipper sox for my youngest. He loved them!

7. Wednesday, 15 August, 2012 5:43 pm

You just slay me. He’s so dear.

8. Thursday, 16 August, 2012 7:57 am

OMG!! What a sweet story! Charlie and his anglerfish are just too cute. Love that you used glow in the dark yarn. 🙂 I can barely tolerate squeaky yarn either, but the smile on his face must have been SO worth it! What knitters won’t do for the munchkins in their lives, lol.

9. Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 9:18 am

That’s the greatest thing ever! Your anglerfish is awesome, and the glow in the dark yarn really adds a fun element! Charlie definitely looks like he adores this gift!