Giving knitters a bad name

Thursday, 7 June, 2012

Swatching is sort of like being a gold digger. It’s a slightly painful process, but you go through with it because in the end it will pay off. Like most knitters I never look forward to swatching, but I always do it because my project will turn out better if I knit a proper swatch.

All I’m knitting right now are swatches, which makes me…the world’s worst gold digger? I’m not really sure where to go with this analogy. Anyways, it’s not like I’m swatching and then starting on some super awesome project, the project is the swatch.

Slightly tedious? Maybe, but I’m really excited to share with you what I’m up to. It’s a project I’ve been planning for the blog for over a year, but I can’t tell you much more than that because it’s a secret. By the time I’m done, which will likely be the end of summer at the earliest, the stack will be huge.

Speaking of summer knitting, I’m also hoping to finish my Color Affection shawl. I’ve sort of been bitten by the shawl bug again (you know I love my knitted accessories!), and I’m thinking I might want to knit something lacy and jewel-toned next. Any pattern ideas? What are you knitting this summer?

********

World Wide Knit in Public Day, which has expanded from a single Saturday to the nine days spanning June 9th – June 17th, is starting this weekend and while I’m not participating I thought I should still mention it here.

Those of you who know me know I’m an introvert so the idea of going to a public place and knitting and talking with people I don’t know is kind of like a little living nightmare. I do my own mini knit in public day all the time – I am not shy about pulling my knitting out when I have more than 30 seconds of free time. Restaurants, the post office, work meetings, etc. are all fair game. What I need is something like World Wide Knit Selfishly by Yourself All Day in Your Own Home Day.

1. Thursday, 7 June, 2012 10:37 am

Ooh, I’m excited to see what all the swatching is about! The colors are very pretty.

• Sunday, 10 June, 2012 2:39 pm

Thanks, Kee! I’m excited to share it with you – hopefully in September/October!

2. Thursday, 7 June, 2012 2:07 pm

introverts unite!

but quietly. and separately. in a non-threatening way.

3. Thursday, 7 June, 2012 2:52 pm

hmmm…swatching? oy. i’d only do it for the sake of making a blanket out of the finished squares.

also, Introvert Solidarity!

• Sunday, 10 June, 2012 2:48 pm

I’m learning something from all this swatching, plus it’s for a project I’m excited about so that makes it way more palatable. Not gonna lie though – I am looking forward to being done.

4. Thursday, 7 June, 2012 4:41 pm

World Wide Knit Selfishly by Yourself All Day in Your Own Home Day? What a dream! I’m in.
    I am way too lazy to swatch usually. This means I have indeed frogged things to start over with different needles. And yet…still hardly ever swatch. Haha

• Sunday, 10 June, 2012 2:49 pm

The first sweater I knit I didn’t swatch for – I had only been knitting a month so I didn’t even knit what a swatch was – and amazingly it fit perfectly. But I’m way too much of a perfectionist to start anything without a swatch now.

5. The Scientist permalink
    Thursday, 7 June, 2012 8:06 pm

I KNOW YOUR SECRET

6. Friday, 15 June, 2012 4:34 pm

Interesting! I’m curious to see what’s happening with the swatches! I went one year, and met a fun group that I knit with for about a year afterwards, but I am much more productive when I knit on my own.

7. Tuesday, 19 June, 2012 6:02 am

Ooh! Secret swatch project. I’m intrigued… sounds exciting!
    I’m so for a ‘World Wide Knit Selfishly by Yourself All Day in Your Own Home Day/week!’ — I’m also an introvert and value alone knitting time. 😉