A few of my favorite things: June

Tuesday, 5 June, 2012

There are always these little bits and pieces I want to share – patterns I want to knit, music and movies and books I love, recipes I tried that are awesome – you get the picture. But inevitably they’re always left out of the blog because I never quite know where to put them.

In the spirit of Friday Finds and Modification Monday I thought it might be fun to start my own regular (monthly?) feature showing you all the things I’m currently loving. Over the past month or so I’ve been collecting my favorite things, and I hope you love them too.

Artichaut is a sweet, simple wrap. The Scientist and I have no plans to expand our family, except maybe to get another cat some day. So maybe I’ll make this for our baby kitten if we get a girl. Or for a human baby if I can stop being such a selfish knitter for two seconds.

Charlie and I made these Creamy Lemon Crumb Squares together a few weekends ago, and they were heavenly. Sweet and cool with the perfect amount of lemon.

I love Lotta Jansdotter. Her designs are so clean and modern and always classically stylish, and her new line of totes are perfect summer beach bags. It doesn’t hurt that the color is one of my favorites.

Kristen Kapur released The Three Graces pattern collection in May, and Thalia is by far my favorite. The openwork feels very vintage to me. It’s a great every day shawl.

If I had a spare $70 I would buy the Tiles scarf in a HEARTBEAT. Love, love, love. And love some more. I need this in my life.

I will never knit a blanket (now that I’ve said this I will probably cast on for one tomorrow), which is a shame because there are so many cute patterns out there. The white edging on the Pop Blanket makes it for me because pops of color are always better than all over eye scorching.

DIY neon French tips, using nothing more than paper hole reinforcers. I tried this yesterday afternoon and it was really easy. The Scientist was all sorts of WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOURSELF when he saw it. Sorry love, this is a look you’re going to see on me a lot.

Veera Valimaki is on fire. Her Color Affection shawl will probably end up being the most popular pattern of the year, and her new collection, Modern Times, is full of gorgeous knits. Shift of Focus is my favorite of the bunch. I have a sweater quantity of Sundara Sock in Black over Violet that would be perfect for this.

Only Clark Gable can spank a woman and be totally paternalistic and still make me swoon. It Happened One Night is the best movie I’ve seen recently. It might be almost 80 years old, but it’s still funny and completely charming.

When Ecken + Kanten first came out I wasn’t planning on knitting it, but after I saw Matina’s striped version I fell in love. I know exactly which color combination I want to use!

Fiona Apple’s first album was the soundtrack to my summer between 10th and 11th grade. The Idler Wheel is coming out later this month, and I am so excited. If the rest of the album is as good as the first single off the album, Every Single Night, then it’s going to be amazing.

1. Tuesday, 5 June, 2012 3:49 pm

I also need that scarf in my life! I love accessories that go with everything.

• Sunday, 10 June, 2012 2:25 pm

My wardrobe is pretty neutral-heavy – lots of white and grey and black – but I love my accessories to be more on the ALL THE COLORS side.

2. Tuesday, 5 June, 2012 9:36 pm

I love that cardigan by Veera too – so lovely and simple. And complementary to any shape.

I know what you mean to – I leave a lot off my blog because I just think “this doesn’t fit in anywhere / would be a photo and a few lines”. Great idea to make up for that with monthly posts.

• Sunday, 10 June, 2012 2:35 pm

It was really fun to put this post together – you should try it on your blog!

Wednesday, 6 June, 2012 12:06 am

I like the French tips – fun! The lemon bars look yummy – can I have the recipe? I like the scarves and shawl and maybe, maybe there will be a change of heart about expanding your family someday…a nana can think about it…Love you! xoxoox

• Sunday, 10 June, 2012 2:29 pm

Click where it says Creamy Lemon Squares in pink – it will take you to the recipe.

4. Thursday, 7 June, 2012 1:49 am

Such great finds! I love the colors going on in this post, and I, too, was completely obsessed with Fiona Apple’s first album. I fell asleep listening to it every night from the time I was about 12 until I was 15, so I’m pretty excited about the new album!

• Sunday, 10 June, 2012 2:42 pm

I started listening to FA when I was 16 – perfect music for a teenager in the middle of angsty teenagerness.

5. Thursday, 7 June, 2012 3:45 pm

I’m a selfish knitter – and I don’t know anyone who’s having a baby soon even if I wasn’t a selfish knitter – and I’m not planning on kids for many years yet… but I really want to knit Artichaut. So freaking cute.

6. Tuesday, 19 June, 2012 4:38 pm

I love all of your finds. I don’t know how you weren’t in my reader before, but you are now! 🙂