The life I live

Tuesday, 15 May, 2012

There have been about 20 blog posts composed in my brain and then promptly tossed out because what to me are memories that should be treasured are in reality probably not that interesting to others*.

Life is really…ordinary right now. There aren’t grand stories to tell – ok, that’s not entirely true. I did eat a scorpion a couple weeks ago, but there aren’t any pictures. Since I know you’re curious, it tasted faintly nutty but no, it wasn’t good. And the question you all likely have – why? – eh, I find it hard to turn down unique experiences.

But other than that, do you really want to see pictures of Charlie riding a camel or from when we visited the USS Texas? Or hear about how my garden has suddenly exploded? Because those types of things are really all I’ve got.

As a blogger I sometimes feel pressured to perform. To have interesting or insightful stories. But when you live a life like mine, where everything revolves around family, it’s hard to spin things in a way that seem exciting.

Even my knitting has been pretty mundane lately. My attention span for the last few months has ranged from barely there to non-existent, so getting more than a few rows of knitting done in a night is an accomplishment. The project I’m working on is my own design, and I feel ambivalent about it. The combination of red and aqua is one that looks good in my head but I’m not sure it works well in reality.

This is take-two of the sweater – I started it once before and ripped it out after about five inches – and I’m still not convinced it’s working. The design is sort of half formed because I’m not exactly sure what I’m going to do with the button band, but I do know one thing: it will be red.

One other thing I know: makeup is always, always better when applied by a six year old. Especially by a six year old who is so excited to have you come into his class for a Mother’s Day makeover that he jumps up and down in the halls when he sees you’ve arrived. And then is so calm and gentle and careful when applying the makeup that even his near constant chatter almost stops.

I’m not sure I’ve ever looked more beautiful in my entire life.

*Except my Mom, who faithfully reads and comments on every single post I make here. I love you, Mom, for always being my cheerleader.

1. Tuesday, 15 May, 2012 4:42 pm

I love your blog! I understand the pressure to post, BELIEVE ME.

2. Lorraine Dolsen permalink
    Tuesday, 15 May, 2012 7:41 pm

I would like to hear about your vegetable garden. I can live vicariously through you since I no longer have a place to garden. Love the make up job. 🙂

Tuesday, 15 May, 2012 10:40 pm

What is more exciting than family? And I agree, I think I have never seen you so beautiful! Your last sentence made me cry honey – miss you so. xoxo

4. Judi Koeller permalink
    Wednesday, 16 May, 2012 8:36 am

Best blog yet! It’s so good to see you happy and content. Yes, you are so so lucky to have your Mom.

5. Wednesday, 16 May, 2012 10:31 am

Personally, I find all those topics fabulous and totally blog worthy. The aqua and red looks pretty good together, too. It was a color combination I was hesitant about, but I saw them paired a few places about 2 years ago, used it in a project and it looks great! Also, even though I’ve only followed you through blog land, I’m really happy that you’ve found that special kind of “ordinary” happiness. Really, that’s the kind that’s most exciting because so few people really have it and it’s a truly amazing feeling to let the calm sink in and have the “I can’t believe how wonderful everything is right now!” feeling.

6. Wednesday, 16 May, 2012 12:11 pm

I get the pressure thing too but in years to come, you’ll love reading stuff that seems banal now plus us readers appreciate it too. To Lorraine – herbs in a tub or on the windowsill 🙂