Southern seasons

Wednesday, 2 November, 2011

It’s fall in the South, although it doesn’t really feel like it. Leaves don’t change colors or drop off of the trees here. The temperature stays in the 70s and 80s, and flowers are still in bloom.

But there are signs that the seasons are changing. After a summer filled with 100+ degree days, the seemingly not-so-fall temps are leaving me chilled. Handknits are worn nearly every day and whenever I come near a Starbucks I have to force myself not to order a caramel apple cider, which is like a warm cup full of autumn.

Pumpkins have been carved.

And Halloween has come and gone.

Now is as good of a time as any to introduce you to another very important person in my life. You’ve met the Scientist, and this is his son, Charlie. I am privileged to call these two my family.

So if I talk about “we” in any of my posts, know that we is the three of us. It’s a good life, the three of us and our two sweet cats in an apartment full of wool and books and a whole lot of love. There is no doubt this Halloween was my best ever. I think my heart grew 10 sizes watching Charlie trick or treating in his snake costume.

And speaking of my heart, and people having an effect on it, I’m knitting the Scientist a pair of socks.

I’m a notoriously selfish knitter, but for him I make an exception. He mentions he’d like a new pair of socks, and a new pair appears on the needles. I actually have a small stash of sock yarn that is all his, colors either I know he’ll love or that he’s picked out himself.

Mention away. For you, and Charlie, I’ll do anything.

Wednesday, 2 November, 2011 12:32 pm

Make my heart full honey knowing you are happy. Can’t wait to meet to meet the rest of your family. Love you!

2. Bryne Miller permalink
    Wednesday, 2 November, 2011 12:43 pm

I saw your multnomah shawl on Ravelry and was unable to download it??? What should I do??? Am obsessed with it. Bryne

• Wednesday, 2 November, 2011 1:35 pm

Bryne – The pattern is on my blog, on the right hand side of the page. Click where it says Multnomah.

3. Wednesday, 2 November, 2011 12:46 pm

Good to hear you’re in love.

4. judithjk permalink
    Wednesday, 2 November, 2011 12:53 pm

So happy for you, Kate! There, I said it. I so want to call you Em or Emily but I am trying to be flexible. A characteristic that becomes more difficult with each day that passes. Be that as it is, I love looking at your blog and seeing your pictures and hearing the happiness in your voice. Love you.

5. Wednesday, 2 November, 2011 6:40 pm

So happy you are enjoying life so much!

6. Wednesday, 2 November, 2011 9:12 pm

I’m tickled all over, knowing you’ve found happiness. Your new little family is so lucky to have you, but, I’m sure they know that! Socks for your guy? What could be sweeter than that?

7. Monday, 7 November, 2011 10:50 pm

Well, Charlie is just too dang cute in that costume! Glad to know that you’re happy. 🙂