This one is for all the dead rulers out there

Wednesday, 21 September, 2011

One of my Mom’s favorite stories about me is from when I was a little girl. My Grandma Brockway had a subscription to Time magazine, and whenever we would visit her house I would make a beeline for them. This was before I started elementary school, and while I was staring to learn how to read, the text was obviously way above my skill level. So I was content to look at the pictures, pointing out Ronald Regan, Jesse Jackson, and other well-known figures in politics and current events.

After I started school my Mom would read to me every morning while I was eating breakfast. We would take turns choosing books since we had very different tastes. She would choose Little House on the Prairie, and as soon as that was finished I would choose a book about the Lincoln assassination.

My boyfriend and I often laugh at how predictable I am. I might be 30 now instead of 3, and I may not like Care Bears any longer, but this is the book on my night stand. It’s the first in a quadrilogy of awesome I’m going to be reading. A book each about the Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley and Kennedy assassinations.

So what does this have to do with my knitting?

I was flipping through a stitch dictionary the other night, and came across the King Charles Brocade stitch, which included a description of how the stitch got its name.

King Charles I was wearing a waistcoat when he died. It was made out of silk, with a light blue background and a dark blue diamond pattern that was later named after him. The waistcoat is famously stained with blood because, um, Charles had a wee misadventure with an ax. When I read that there was a stitch named after the execution garments of a king you’d better believe that my next thought was MUST. KNIT. NOW.

Since Charlie lost his head I thought it was only fitting that I knit a cowl. Something to help keep my neck safe from any errant axes. And since we don’t want this to get too morbid, I chose a nice bright yellow yarn. It’s a happy beheading.

1. Wednesday, 21 September, 2011 3:23 pm

Great post – and beautiful cowl.

Wednesday, 21 September, 2011 3:30 pm

Oh gee…only you would come up with this! Love the buttery cowl – beautiful. And on my bedside stand you could still find Little House in the Big Woods. Well maybe “Laura Hikes the Big Woods!”
    xoxoxo

3. Wednesday, 21 September, 2011 7:42 pm

What, not red yarn? I suppose yellow does make for a cheerful beheading.

4. Thursday, 22 September, 2011 12:58 am

Great fun! Looking forward to that finished cowl.

5. Saturday, 24 September, 2011 1:20 pm

I love your historical knit cowl project! The story is fascinating, and I can hardly wait for the finished product.

6. Tuesday, 27 September, 2011 8:00 pm

That is the best historical inspiration knitting story I have ever heard!

7. Cheryl permalink
    Thursday, 27 October, 2011 11:11 pm

Love your cowls. Suggestion on pink/grey (no comment available there): Maybe cut back on grey portion instead of trying to change pink???? dunno if it will work, but just a thought.

Trackbacks