A perfectly legitimate reason for needing to knit all the things

Sunday, 4 September, 2011

Before moving to Houston I wondered how my knitting would change in a hot climate. I imagined a sad life, giving up my beloved wool for cooler, more summer-appropriate fibers like cotton and bamboo. Instead, I wore woolen handknits three times last week even though Houston is nearing 40 days this summer with temperatures at or above 100.

Handknits in 100+ degree temps? Sounds…sweaty. This was the forecast for the last weekend in August. It actually got hotter than that.

This town is SRS BSNS about their air conditioning. On multiple occasions I’ve lamented my lack of fingerless mitts while at work because my fingers are nearing frostbite levels. I work out of two offices, one on the lowest level of the museum, which is always cold, and one on the top floor, which is like spending my day in a walk-in freezer.

I need hats. I need armwarmers and cowls and worsted weight shawls to help keep me warm. This? Is a problem I can get behind.

Because obviously I don’t have enough.

1. Sunday, 4 September, 2011 7:40 pm

good lord lol as good a reason as any, I suppose, to knit up a storm 😉 not that we need much by way of convincing, really

2. Sunday, 4 September, 2011 9:11 pm

Too but too funny!!!

Sunday, 4 September, 2011 9:38 pm

I understand because I freeze at the library too. Keep my little heater close by for when my toes are numb. Then for the bike-ride home – ugh! What a beautiful stack of colors and textures! Almost as lovely as you honey!

4. Monday, 5 September, 2011 6:30 am

I can relate! I wear cardigans year-round and have to remind myself that 3/4 sleeves just will not do for the workplace because I get frozen forearms from the AC. I still haven’t figured out how to work fingerless gloves into my professional wardrobe, though …

5. Laura Hall Briedis permalink
    Monday, 5 September, 2011 9:32 am

I am soo happy you have reasons to keep on knitting and posting.

cheers

6. Tuesday, 6 September, 2011 8:42 am

You are so right. H-town does not mess around about air conditioning. 😉

7. Wednesday, 7 September, 2011 1:14 pm

I had the same worries when I moved from Minnesota to San Diego. Thankfully we don’t get quite as hot here, but the indoors are all freezing! Love the stack of handknits. 🙂

8. Saturday, 29 October, 2011 7:44 pm

This stack of knits embedded itself into my nouveau knitter brain, and is now residing on my laptop as wallpaper inspiration. I can’t wait until I have as many lovely knits as you!

9. Lori permalink
    Saturday, 26 November, 2011 6:21 pm

I know just what you mean. I’m moving back to home to Houston in January after a year and a half in the Pacific Northwest, but I expect that I’ll still get to make use of my woolen hand knits.