Knitting and snakes, but not knitting for snakes

Monday, 20 June, 2011

It was six months ago on Saturday that I arrived in Houston, and not long after that I discovered the Houston Arboretum.

Coeur d’Alene, the city where I used to live, wasn’t a small town, but it certainly seems that way in comparison to Houston, which has a larger population than the entire state of Idaho. Before, if I wanted to get away from people and go hiking or camping, it was a short drive and I’d be in the middle of nowhere, but here? Good luck finding that sort of privacy without preparing to spend some serious time in your car.

The arboretum doesn’t duplicate that feeling of solitude, but it has become a special place to me, somewhere I can go to enjoy pine trees and wildlife in the middle of the city.

red eared slider

A red-eared slider, also known as the turtles you can touch if you’re careful and slow.

snapping turtle

A snapping turtle, also known as the turtles you can touch but only if you’re not that attached to your fingers.

sunflower

lizard

There are little lizards everywhere in Houston! These brown guys are probably the most common, although there are a lot of green ones too.

fungus

hibiscus

Moving from near the Canadian border to close to the Gulf of Mexico has meant learning the names of lots of new plants and birds. I still have no idea what I’m looking at most of the time, but I’m able to identify some of the local flora and fauna, like this hibiscus.

southern water snake

This weekend I hung out with a Southern Water Snake in the wetlands. Sorry, buddy, this sweater isn’t for you.

knitting

The wetlands are an excellent place to knit, even if you are constantly distracted by all the animals in the water. I like to go early in the morning, when there are very few people around, and sit on the boardwalk while the sunlight creeps over the pond.

1. Aunt Judi permalink
    Monday, 20 June, 2011 8:50 am

So happy to be able to catch up on your blog!! It sounds like Texas is really agreeing with you, as well as the entire southwest. This country has so many wonders…and all so different. There’s really beauty and wonder everywhere!! You’re getting to be quite the photographer as well as knitter!! Love you!

Monday, 20 June, 2011 10:05 am

I agree with Aunt Judi – the photographs are beautiful. Hope I can sit on that boardwalk with you some morning, sip tea and watch you knit…miss you very much…xoxoxoxo

3. Big Sis permalink
    Tuesday, 21 June, 2011 9:15 am

I agree with both Aunt Judi and Mom, great pic’s sis!

Loving the color of your newest project!!!

4. Thursday, 23 June, 2011 6:57 pm

The color of this yarn is incredible! I wonder if in the arboterum world they blog about a knitter who come to visit them 😉

5. Friday, 24 June, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi, we met once at Knit in Public day in CDA, and also have seen you at CDA Yarn and Fiber, saw your blog on Ravelry. Had to read about the snakes, as we also moved from CDA last fall, and now live in Grass Valley Ca.

I started a new group on Ravelry ” Emotional Intelligence”, if you want to check it out.

Your braver than I am, still getting used to seeing the snakes here. Oh and love that gold yarn your knitting in the blog pic, what is that yarn?

6. Deb permalink
    Wednesday, 6 July, 2011 10:01 am

I stopped by your blog to access Multnomah; am knitting it for a third time. Thank you for a lovely pattern, Kate.

I didn’t realize that you were in Houston. What a change it must be from Coeur d’Alene! (I live on the northwest side of Houston, near Tomball.)

I think the brown lizards and the green lizards you talk about are one and the same (they change colors like chameleons). The lizard is a green anole (Anolis carolinensis).