The Notebook

Thursday, 5 May, 2011

This notebook was supposed to be the start of a new chapter in my knitting.

Multnomah was a bit of a fluke. The idea came to me as I was laying in bed, trying to decide what to do with a special skein of yarn. After its release I wanted to design more, but Multnomah was a bit overwhelming. I honestly thought no one would be interested in my pattern but suddenly I was answering questions from all around the world and helping people make modifications to the pattern.

Last summer pattern ideas started coming to me again. While on vacation a design, which I had been thinking about for a few weeks but wasn’t getting anywhere on, popped into my head, fully formed. I was so excited by it. It wanted to be knit. The next day, in Albuquerque, I bought this little notebook. That night I sketched the design out, wrote down a couple pages of notes so I wouldn’t forget a single detail, and bought the yarn online.

I never got around to knitting it.

Last fall was draining. Between school, a promotion at work, and upheaval in my personal life I did something I never thought I would do: I stopped knitting. What was once a comforting, leisurely activity turned into something where I couldn’t escape my thoughts and feelings. It actually made things worse.

As my future became clearer I slowly eased my way back into knitting. It started with a pair of socks for someone special, then another. Knitting for someone else made it easier somehow. Soon I was knitting almost as much as before, and ended up with a stack of finished projects. I never photographed any of them.

These projects were all knit simply to keep me busy during my last weeks in Idaho, the long drive down to Texas, and the first few weeks in Houston. There was no excitement or love put into them. Perhaps some day I will get around to taking pictures of them, although the socks have been worn so many times that they’re starting to look a bit raggedy.

Life started to even out. Routines were formed and I started feeling more and more like myself. And here we are, now. I am busier than I’ve ever been. The long, lazy days where I would sit around all day and knit are gone, replaced by something far better.

Houston brings to mind two words: inspiration and creativity. I am thriving here. My little notebook, which sat ignored for too long, has pages and pages of notes and plans. The designs from last summer are joined by many new ones. I am so excited to knit them all, and equally excited to share them with you.

Starting very soon.

1. Thursday, 5 May, 2011 5:34 pm

Excited to see the designs come rolling in!

2. Thursday, 5 May, 2011 7:03 pm

That looks lovely!

I know how you feel about the knitting not helping. I knit. All. The. Time. until I hit a particularly rough patch, and I just couldn’t anymore. I’ve only started to get back into it a couple of months ago, after a 2 year long hiatus. So I totally get it.

I’m glad to hear that you’ve back into the swing of things again, and that you’re thriving. I look forward to trying the Multnomah soon, and that shrug looks very interesting indeed. Good luck!

3. Thursday, 5 May, 2011 7:18 pm

I can’t tell you how glad I am to “see” you back. I’m looking forward to seeing your new designs. As for your unloved FO’s–I too went through a
    ‘knit-just-to-get-over-the-hump period” and the FO’s are now treasured objects because they are a reminder of a time when I was healing and getting stronger.

4. Thursday, 5 May, 2011 9:22 pm

Every so often I go through periods of non-knitting where I worry that I’ll lose my skills or passion for it forever, but it always comes back eventually. The reason I got so into knitting in the first place was to recover from a trauma, but my life has changed so much since then that it seems natural that my relationship with knitting would too. I think that holds true for a lot of people, and part of the cool thing about knitting is that it will always welcome you back, no questions asked.
    Glad to hear you’re back in the swing of things, and excited to see what you’re working on next.

Thursday, 5 May, 2011 9:28 pm

I like it best when you model your finished projects…it looks beautiful honey. Happy to know you are knitting again but most of all happy to know you are happy. Love you!

6. Friday, 6 May, 2011 4:31 am

Can’t tell you how happy i am to see you post on your blog . You have been missed!!

7. Friday, 6 May, 2011 7:17 am

I can’t wait to see your upcoming designs:) And it is nice to see that you are thriving:) I learned to knit while I was going through a major personal ordeal, and it really helped. I find it so interesting how knitting is helpful to so many people in such different ways. I also lived in San Antonio for 10 years, and I miss it so much. I’m envious of your new start in Houston:)

8. Friday, 6 May, 2011 7:58 am

I’m glad Houston is treating you well, and that you’re designing!

9. Friday, 6 May, 2011 12:13 pm

Ok, can’t wait to seeing your own designs! It may be wonderful to be able to create a garment, to have an idea for something new. Oh, excuses for my English! I love your blog.
    Maite.

10. Adrienne permalink
    Friday, 6 May, 2011 3:37 pm

sitting on the edge of my seat. Glad you’re doing so well and looking forward to seeing the creativity and vision of new inspiration!

11. Friday, 6 May, 2011 7:44 pm

First of all, I am happy that you have begun to live again….for yourself. Secondly, I am happy that you are knitting again. Knitting can be such a healer for those of us who need it; like home. I am glad that you came home. Now, about that shrug………STOP HIDING SUCH PRETTY THINGS FROM US!!!! I am buying that pattern as soon as it comes out! Whoo-hoo. It is lovely. I pray that you will continue to thrive, and that happiness will follow you all of your days!

Deb
    thenappyewe
    Park Forest, IL

12. Saturday, 7 May, 2011 11:03 pm

I made the Multnomah, and I disagree; it was no fluke! I am a designer, too, and I don’t typically make other people’s patterns, because I just don’t have much time to work out my own designs. But Multnomah was both easy and pretty enough to be interesting. I had a fabulous skein of handpainted yarn that just BEGGED to become Multnomah! And so it did. Kate, keep dreaming, keep designing, follow your heart and live your life. You have people out here that you have never even met that think a lot of your work and wish you well. I can’t wait to see what else you come out with!

13. Knitter Kitter permalink
    Sunday, 8 May, 2011 6:13 pm

Oooooh, pretty! I can’t wait for the pattern. Gorgeous yarn too. I’m happy that Houston is treating you well and that you’re back to knitting and designing 🙂

14. Nurse Ratchknit permalink
    Tuesday, 10 May, 2011 7:27 am

I’m knitting Multnomah right now- my first handspun to look like real yarn! Glad to hear you have more designs in the works.