Safire(ish)

Tuesday, 31 August, 2010

Designing a pattern is hard work.

There is so much that goes into it: thinking up an original idea, writing out the pattern for the prototype, the changes you inevitably have to make as you go along, and then figuring out all the math for numerous other sizes. And after you publish it you’re essentially opening yourself up for criticism.

So when I knit something, and the pattern doesn’t quite work up like it should, I struggle with what I should say. I don’t want to come across as mean, but I do feel I should be honest about any problems I had. And I’m trying to find that balance with this post.

This is Safire. Sort of.

There are some issues with this pattern. I won’t go into all of them here, but I did talk about it a bit on my Ravelry project page if you’re interested. Long story short, unnecessarily complicated and it would have turned out too big in several ways if I had knit it as written. The designer did say that since this is a free pattern she didn’t have it tech edited.

Even though I made most of the pattern up once I’d realized there were mistakes, I did try to keep the end result identical in looks to the original. It’s very cute, and since I’ve been wearing cropped cardigans like crazy this summer it’s a very welcome addition to my wardrobe.

The yarn is MadelineTosh Vintage in Composition Book Grey, which is grey in some light and purple in others. It’s really a lovely color – perfect to wear with jeans. The mother-of-pearl buttons are an ideal match for this pattern and yarn.

HelloKnitty’s Safire(ish) – Ravelry link

1. Tuesday, 31 August, 2010 4:44 pm

Really joli!!!

2. Tuesday, 31 August, 2010 5:17 pm

This little (and I emphasize ‘little’) sweater looks darling on you, and I would love to knit this up for my youngest daughter. She’s 22 and it would certainly suit her to a T. I will check out your Ravelry page, as I’m eager to learn more details. Never having designed a sweater, myself, I can only imagine the work involved, so I try to tread softly when it comes to criticism, but I can’t help being honest. It’s a delicate balance, I think. My first order of MadelineTosh is on its way, and I can hardly wait. Their colors are gorgeous.

Tuesday, 31 August, 2010 6:46 pm

Beautiful work! If I designed something I would welcome the information you may have to make it easier for folks to use. It could be very frustrating to another knitter without your experience. Free pattern or not you want it to be workable. Nice color too – don’t you have another sweater in a that yarn or a close second to the color?
    xoxoxoxoox

4. Tuesday, 31 August, 2010 7:10 pm

I think all comments are welcomed when it’s done is a respectful way (as you did!) It turned out quite well! It must be really nice in real with Madelintosh… Good review and work!

5. Thursday, 2 September, 2010 4:45 am

Well, all the trouble was worth it – the cardi looks great on you!

6. Janey permalink
    Saturday, 18 September, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi, Its a lovely cardi despite any probs you had with the pattern. But I haven’t looked at your blog for a while and you are looking great, you mentioned earlier in the year that you were trying to lose weight well you have certaiunly succeeded and look fab. I’m also fighting the flab as they say so I love seeing people who are doing well as it really inspires me to keep going.

7. /\/ate permalink
    Sunday, 26 September, 2010 9:56 pm

Very cute pics! The cardigan looks nice too.

8. Nate permalink
    Monday, 27 September, 2010 2:20 pm

You look so pretty in these pics!

9. Thursday, 7 October, 2010 12:17 am

it looks really nice. and i totally understand what you mean about balance:)

10. Friday, 21 January, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi, I haven’t checked into your page for a good while, for no reason other than I haven’t been blog reading so much lately but I wanted to encourage you on your weight loss, I know it was something you were trying to do last year and you’re looking fab and that cardi really suits you. Well done you are a real encouragement to those of us still “fighting the flab”!

11. Friday, 21 January, 2011 2:50 pm

I have just read comments and realised this is an old post and I have now made same comment twice but several months apart!! Sorry!!