Class act

Tuesday, 24 August, 2010

Once upon a time there was a girl named Kate, who everyone agreed was beautiful, smart, charming, funny and, above all, humble. She spent a great deal of her free time knitting, especially sweaters. And then this happened:

And she never had free time to knit again. The end.

As of yesterday morning I am a college student once again. I’m taking algebra, U.S. history, astronomy, and computer science. In preparation for this change I cast on something simple I’m designing this weekend with the hopes that I can knit and read my textbooks at the same time.

Cross your fingers my plan works out.

A huge, huge thank you to all of you who commented on my last post. I’m so happy to hear I’ve inspired some of you. I wish I could invite all of you over who said that you’re in the middle of the same journey or that you’d like to start down the road to better health and share everything I’ve learned. But since that isn’t possible I can at least offer my advice. If you’d like to find out more about my workout routine, my diet, or both, please feel free to email me at kateflagg at gmail dot com (changing the at to @, etc, just have to write it out that way so the spammers don’t get me) and I’d be happy to let you know what I’m doing and answer any questions you have.

1. Tuesday, 24 August, 2010 5:52 pm

I am jealous! Not particularly of the math, but I always loved the back-to-school excitement of new textbooks. Good luck being a student again. ๐Ÿ™‚

• yammysue permalink
      Monday, 31 January, 2011 8:58 am

I will be your cheerleader as you continue your education. You see, I enrolled in college as a freshman at age 44 1/2. Graduated cum laude at 50! All this with three teenagers and a widowed mom who was downsizing her home and moving. The secret: When you feel like giving up, don’t. YOU CAN DO IT!

2. Tuesday, 24 August, 2010 6:49 pm

Congratulations on your return to school! Your life has changed completely in the last year. You look happy and confident. You go, girl!

And yes, knitting and reading does work.

3. Tuesday, 24 August, 2010 10:13 pm

Congrats, going back to school is always a fun adventure. Your course load looks exciting.

4. Linda permalink
    Wednesday, 25 August, 2010 4:34 am

Fall is my favorite time of year and I love that “beginning of a new school year” feeling. It has always been my time of new beginnings in a way that Jan 1st never has been. I am taking that feeling and your post of yesterday for inspiration to make a healthier me. Have a GREAT new school year!

5. Wednesday, 25 August, 2010 4:47 am

Enjoy your new classes and knitting!!!

6. Gabrielle permalink
    Wednesday, 25 August, 2010 5:21 am

Hi! I’ve been following your blog for a while now. Love your work! ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve been trying to invent a device that allows heavy hardcover books to be read while knitting. So far It works partialy well… the books has to be less than 400 pages! Oo

๐Ÿ™‚

7. Sarah permalink
    Saturday, 2 October, 2010 1:27 pm

I recommend a music stand. Seriously! An elementary school music stand, the really stron metal ones- add some simple knitting and you’re all set. ๐Ÿ™‚