Tea Leaves Cardigan

Friday, 9 April, 2010

During my kinda-sorta spring break last week I managed to finish up all my projects that were laying around, the last of them (and quite possibly my favorite) being my Tea Leaves Cardigan.

You wouldn’t think the simple gathered yoke would be all that exciting, but it really knits up beautifully. I am such a sucker for this sort of pattern: a cardigan that only buttons at the top with a detail around the yoke. My Ravelry queue isn’t filled with million sweaters like this, and I’m not really sure why because they’re so wearable.

As usual, the yarn deserves a lot of credit in making the cardigan look so nice – it’s MadelineTosh DK in Oxblood, a color I absolutely adore. When my Mom saw this sweater, her first comment was about how soft the yarn is. And she’s right. It’s gorgeous in every way.

I knit this pattern exactly how it was written, except for adding in another button hole and picking up less stitches for the button band. But if I were to knit this pattern a second time there is one change I would definitely make – for my tastes, the neck is a little too wide. It still turned out nicely, and it’s not anything that would make me not wear the sweater, just a personal preference.

HelloKnitty’s Tea Leaves Cardigan – Ravelry Link

1. Friday, 9 April, 2010 12:23 pm

I’m currently knitting with Madtosh DK for the first time, on your recommendation (among others’). You were right: it’s totally amazing. And so versatile! And so consistently dyed. And so soft, yet not too delicate-seeming. I’m lovin’ it; thanks for convincing me. 🙂

As for your sweater, gorgeous work! That color looks lovely on you. It must feel great to have tied up all your knitting-related loose ends, too.

2. Friday, 9 April, 2010 1:51 pm

This is so pretty and that color looks wonderful! How did this compare to Shalom??

Friday, 9 April, 2010 2:29 pm

Beautiful work honey! I like the wide neck, somehow it makes it sort of dressy. Looks like the kind of pattern you could make over and over again. Nice pictures – good job Nathan!
    xoxoxox

4. Friday, 9 April, 2010 3:39 pm

Just lovely! Great combination of yarn and pattern.

I’ve been wanting to knit this pattern (and already have the yarn!), but I’ve been hesitant to start b/c I know I want to modify the neckline. Do you have any suggestions?

5. Friday, 9 April, 2010 4:01 pm

The Tea Leave Cardigan is gorgeous and yours is no exception! That Madelintosh yarn, reading the description you make, seems like a must! It’s the first time I visit your blog! Nice! I’ll continue to look at what you knit… You knit beautifully!

6. Jen permalink
    Friday, 9 April, 2010 5:19 pm

Wow! This sweater turned out wonderful! I have never made a sweater before and this one is at the tops of my list to try. I would love to hear how you would modify the neckline. How would your rate this for a first sweater project? Thanks!

7. Friday, 9 April, 2010 7:17 pm

Yay! I love it! I’m just plugging along on the body of my Tea Leaves. I predict it will be done for next winter!! How long did it take you to knit yours? I think the color you used is just beautiful.

8. Jan permalink
    Saturday, 10 April, 2010 10:00 am

Beautiful sweater! I love the color and the yolk detail. The 3 button modification looks perfect. I have some knitpicks Dk yarn that’s yearning for a pattern. I might give this a go.

Can I just say, you look wonderfully slim. I don’t know how you did it. I’ve been reading your blog, faithfully, for about 8 months now, and you are an inspiration, knitwise and otherwise! Thank you

9. Friday, 16 April, 2010 8:40 am

wow, that is really really beautiful! Great color.

10. Saturday, 17 April, 2010 11:29 am

Oh, my goodness! This is just so beautiful! I have to admit I’m envious! (But only in the most very good way.) And in one of my favorite colors, too!

11. Monday, 19 April, 2010 2:42 am

Hi, I like this cardi, we have similar taste as I love your projects, this yarn is a fab colour. I have had a bit of a trawl on the ol’ net but I don’t think I can source Madelintosh yarn in UK. I’m about to make a Leisl which I think I discovered through your blog, so thanks for the inspiration!

I don’t know if you’re interested but I’ve just made a multnomah, great pattern I will definitely use it again, pics are on my rav page, I’m bagqueen.

12. Monday, 19 April, 2010 2:46 am

Hey its me again, you are looking great, I meant to say that before. You have lost some weight, I’m struggling to do the same. I want to ask how did you do it? Hoping you have the magic answer but I’m fairly sure its a version of “eat less move more”!! Well done anyway, you look fab (you always did!)

13. Tuesday, 20 April, 2010 10:42 am

Hello I am Ximena de Montevideo Uruguay, beautiful your work.
    You sell wool? I am interested.
    Thanks Regards.
    (Google translation)

14. Barbara Margolis permalink
    Wednesday, 21 April, 2010 2:55 pm

Are your changes to Multnomah available? I love what
    you did to it?

15. Sunday, 25 April, 2010 3:10 pm

Wow… that looks so cozy. I just want to wear it……. if it goes missing…. it’s not here. 😉

16. suzanne permalink
    Saturday, 1 May, 2010 4:33 am

Your TeaLeaves is beautiful. I made one in Hand Maiden Casbah. I found the neck a bit wide for my taste as well – so I pulled out a crochet hook and slip stitched around the neckline. This brought the stretch factor under control and made it a more comfortable fit.

17. Sunday, 30 May, 2010 6:39 pm

Beautiful! Looking thru your blog – you have made some beautiful sweaters!!!

I do have a question about the Multnomah shawl – when you stated (on the ravelry site about making the shawl in different sizes) “Notes: knitting this did take the entire skein” – did you mean the original shawl takes the entire skein? So if I want to make it larger, I will need more than one skein?

Thanks so much…and thanks so much for sharing the pattern for such a beautiful shawl!