Shalom

Friday, 5 March, 2010

Although it didn’t quite turn out the way I imagined, I LOVE my Shalom cardigan. I even considered wearing it before taking pictures, something I never do. In the end my practical side won, the side that reminded me I drop food on myself constantly and talks to me like this: you-don’t-want-a-stain-on-your-beautiful-new-sweater-before-you-even-take-pictures-of-it-do-you-young-lady-now-go-take-that-off-this-instant. Yes, ma’am.

I think you could make this sweater out of any solid or semi-solid yarn and have it turn out great, on account of the yoke being so gorgeous. It’s simple but very flattering. The yarn I used is MadelineTosh Rustication worsted, which is a 100% Cormo wool. The wool softens after you block it, but before it definitely feels more rustic, very scratchy, so much so that after one particularly knit-filled day the yarn ended up rubbing one of my fingers raw. The color is Tart, which has been selling out everywhere in a matter of minutes in every MadelineTosh base. To me the craze is worth it, as it’s the most perfect rich, saturated red.

Since the pattern was written for bulky weight yarn and I used worsted, I had to rewrite the pattern so it would work with my yarn. If you’re interested in making a worsted weight Shalom I’m posting my notes on my project page. Some of the details I borrowed from other knitter’s projects, but a lot of it I made up myself. Of course my notes will only work if you want to knit a 36″ chest, but you could easily do a little math and rewrite things for your own size.

HelloKnitty’s Slalom – Ravelry link

1. Friday, 5 March, 2010 8:04 am

Wow, I think the short sleeves are perfect! I’d momentarily forgotten it was supposed to have long sleeves. Beautiful project, and it looks great on you!

Friday, 5 March, 2010 8:58 am

This is a favorite and I love the color (so rich), the buttons and it is that much more interesting because it does not have sleeves. Beautiful work!
    xoxox

3. Friday, 5 March, 2010 10:33 am

I planned a long-sleeved one for mine as well but when I tried it on at the short-sleeve point, my friends were all like, DON’T CHANGE IT! IT’S ADORABLE! And the same is true of yours.

PS you look great!

4. Margie permalink
    Friday, 5 March, 2010 10:40 am

Wow…that is a GREAT color!!! Gotta tell you, too, that you look FABULOUS!!! How are you managing to lose weight so quickly??

5. Kathleen permalink
    Friday, 5 March, 2010 11:46 am

The sweater is beautiful and I love the color on you! You however, are the star of the picture because you look fabulous!!!

6. ponka permalink
    Friday, 5 March, 2010 3:40 pm

That most definitely is the perfect shade of red. Lovely!

7. Bertha permalink
    Friday, 5 March, 2010 3:47 pm

It looks beautiful on you and the buttons are fantastic! I have some of the laceweight rustication in this color, it was completely irresistible.

8. elsa permalink
    Friday, 5 March, 2010 3:59 pm

oh it turned out so nice and is a great color for you!!! I’ve got the yarn I’m making it with … just have so many things on needles I just can’t start something else!

9. Friday, 5 March, 2010 5:09 pm

Gorgeous. Really really gorgeous. And you look totally fab in it! You go girl.

10. Saturday, 6 March, 2010 6:17 am

Like you said, it’s easy to see why this color is sold out! It is lovely, and looks wonderful on you.

11. Saturday, 6 March, 2010 6:42 am

What a pretty picture – both the sweater and you.

12. Saturday, 6 March, 2010 9:26 pm

It is so gorgeous! LOVE it!

13. Tuesday, 9 March, 2010 3:34 pm

wow. that is absolutely stunning. the color, the fit, everything about it. you look fab in it too! 🙂

14. Friday, 12 March, 2010 5:38 pm

Love the yarn, love the sweater, love the buttons! And it looks fantastic on you. Brava!

15. Sunday, 14 March, 2010 8:09 am

GORGEOUS! Love the color…beautiful knitting. It looks absolutely stunning on you.

16. Friday, 26 March, 2010 2:29 pm

Hi, I have this pattern and I had completely forgotten about it but it looks so fab on you that I might get it out and see if I have some yarn to do it. I absolutely adore that colour and it really suits you.