I coulda been a contender

Wednesday, 24 February, 2010

It figures.

I wrote in the last post that my hopes for finishing my Shalom Cardigan before the end of the Olympics were all but a lost cause. Too much knitting, not enough time. Well, look what we have here.

Yes, that’s a finished body. And with four and a half days left in the Olympics, three of which I don’t have to work and could knit all day long, knocking out two sleeves should be no problem. I could do it. I could finish this cardigan, and feel good that I managed to knit two sweaters in two weeks.

Except I can’t. Because I underestimated how much yarn this cardigan would take, and don’t have enough yarn.

I don’t even have enough for one sleeve. Luckily – and I mean LUCKILY – I was able to find someone to sell me another skein of this yarn. There are only six people on Ravelry who have MadelineTosh Rustication worsted in Tart, so I really was sweating it – could I live with short sleeves? What about sleeveless like the pattern calls for? I wasn’t thrilled about the prospects, but then the lovely Maureen swept in and saved the day. She reads this blog, and I want to say thank you again to her. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. YOU ARE AWESOME AND CAN HAVE MY FIRST CHILD IF YOU WANT ALTHOUGH MY MOTHER MIGHT BE MAD IF YOU TAKE IT.

Since Shalom is hold, what do you think I’m going to knit next? Did you guess another sweater? You’re right! But HOLD. THE. PHONE. It’s not a cardigan, it’s a pullover. I’m going to be test knitting a sweater for the amazing Amy, the creative genius behind Stash, Knit, Repeat.

The sweater, which is called Adelina, uses two colors. I’m using Blue Moon Fiber Art’s BFL Sport in Meet Brown, Joe for the main color and Rose Quartz for the contrast color. I’ve never knit with BFL before, and I’m excited to see how the fabric turns out.

I don’t have any preview pictures of the sweater to show you, but trust me, it’s super cute. I can post pictures and talk about it while I’m knitting, so you will get a sneak peek before the pattern is released later this spring.

1. Wednesday, 24 February, 2010 5:25 pm

Pink+brown is SUCH a cute combo. Can’t wait to see how the mystery sweater knits up!

Shalom is lookin’ great, too.

2. Wednesday, 24 February, 2010 5:25 pm

Somehow, with Ravelry, things like that is often sorted out rather quickly is my experience. Glad to hear others have the same :D)

Nice colours, brown and pink, look forward to that super cute pattern.

3. Wednesday, 24 February, 2010 7:52 pm

You are too funny! The skein is on its way to its new home, please give it a little hug before you dive right into making them part of your sleeves. I can’t wait to see this project all finished!

Thursday, 25 February, 2010 6:36 am

In my book you are the winner after all you already finished 1 sweater in lightning time and this one is complicated and did you not say the pattern is sleeveless only you want sleeves? Still waiting for the other sweater picture – it looks like it will be so beautiful…
    xooxoox

5. Thursday, 25 February, 2010 6:50 am

Ooh, I hadn’t looked up those colors yet–they’re DIVINE! It’s going to be super-cute. Sorry to read that about Shalom, though–the color is fantastic. Hooray for Maureen!

I was feeling pretty cocky myself about my Olympic knitting project–finished the back and part of the front in the first weekend–but then Twist submissions came up and the kids were crazy and now the husband’s traveling. It’ll be down to the wire, for sure.

6. Margie permalink
    Thursday, 25 February, 2010 9:56 am

Aaaah…equipment failure! It’ll getcha every time!

LOVE the pink & brown combo..can’t wait to see what that’s going to be.

7. Thursday, 25 February, 2010 12:35 pm

I agree with Mom – even in my prime sweater knitting days, it took at least THREE weeks to knock out a sweater. You are a winner! Can’t wait to see the pink/brown number.

8. Thursday, 25 February, 2010 1:52 pm

I’m so low energy today that I barely even want to make breakfast, but this post might change that. Sweater knitting FTW.