Ribbed Pullover Vest

Friday, 22 January, 2010

To me, the most fun thing to knit is by far sweaters. I enjoy the smaller projects too, but they don’t give me nearly the joy or the sense of accomplishment or make my imagination run wild. So, it’s kind of a small let down when you finish weaving in the last end and all you can do is look lovingly at the sweater you’ve knitted and cross your fingers that it will fit in a few months.

Since I’m not going to stop knitting sweaters while I’m losing weight (making every finished project a crap shoot since I don’t know what my finished measurements will be) I won’t be blocking anything yet. While I might be done knitting my Ribbed Pullover Vest, there’s still a picture to take. In the future, when I’m at my goal weight, and my vest is blocked out to fit me perfectly.

The yarn I used, Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Heavyweight in Bleck, was wonderful to work with. I’ve made socks out of it before, but in a sweater it somehow seems softer. And I love the tight twist in the yarn – the farther away from single ply the better in my book.

I did make a couple modifications to the pattern. I adjusted the gauge to suite a lighter weight yarn, increased the length by 3″ because the pattern was a little too cropped for my tastes, and added in waist shaping, which you can see above. And if my typing gets wonky at any point, please know it is because one of my cats has decided it is not blogging time, it is pet me time, and is trying to accomplish this by laying across my keyboard.

This vest marks my first entry into nakniswemodo. For those of you who don’t speak knitter, this is National Knit a Sweater a Month Dodecathon, meaning I’m going to try to knit 12 sweaters this year. Wish me luck!

HelloKnitty’s Ribbed Pullover Vest – Ravelry link

1. Cassandra permalink
    Friday, 22 January, 2010 1:49 pm

Wow, I can’t believe you made this! If I saw this in a store, I would definitely try it on. Looks great!

• helloknitty permalink
      Saturday, 23 January, 2010 6:28 am

Thank you! If you ever want to learn how to knit, I’d be happy to teach you next time you’re up this way.

2. Friday, 22 January, 2010 4:06 pm

It looks great–love the color!

3. ponka permalink
    Friday, 22 January, 2010 10:07 pm

Lovely! I can’t believe it’s not blocked – those are some incredibly even stitches!

I’m about to plunge into knitting my first sweater – what kind of cast-off did you use on the neck and arm-holes?

• helloknitty permalink
      Saturday, 23 January, 2010 6:29 am

Just a plain old cast off. I find that if I do it a little loosely its never too tight for sweaters.

4. Saturday, 23 January, 2010 2:33 am

Oh, I like this a lot. Very nice!

5. Saturday, 23 January, 2010 9:58 am

That is a beauty – I bet it will look fantastic!!

6. Saturday, 23 January, 2010 7:59 pm

Zoinks! 12 sweaters in a year?? That’s awesome! The sweater is gorgeous, and you have fantabulous taste in yarn, if I may say so. And I think my cat has the same time clock as yours.

Cheers!
    Daisy

7. Annegret permalink
    Saturday, 23 January, 2010 8:23 pm

The Ribbed Pullover Vest looks fantastic. I really like the way you did it.
    With 12 sweaters in a year you have a big job, but I believe you will do it.

Annegret

8. Sunday, 24 January, 2010 6:43 am

Outstanding – that yarn is a perfect choice for that project, and it’s going to look fabulous on you!

Good luck with nakniswemodo!

9. Thursday, 11 February, 2010 4:04 pm

Love the vest! Totally my style. I like that you made it longer too. Good luck with the 12 sweaters! šŸ™‚