ribbed.

Saturday, 9 January, 2010

To me, there is little more tedious in knitting than miles and miles of ribbing but, if done well, there’s little that looks better.

Both of the projects I’m working on right now have ribbing, but they’re very different from one another.

The first project is the Ribbed Pullover Vest by Hannah Fettig. This pattern never really got much notice when it came out, which is a shame because it’s quite cute. The yarn is Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Heavyweight in Bleck, a lovely greyish-silver with a hint of lavender.

The pattern called for the bottom to be knit in a k1, p1 rib for 5″, but I’ve been doing mine in a twisted rib (k1tbl, p1). It doesn’t take any additional time, and the ribbing turns out so much nicer that way – much more crisp and defined.

My brief obsession with hats seems to be coming to an end, and while I can’t promise that this is the last one I’ll be knitting for awhile, I do feel like my two finished hats a week days are over. This is yet another Slouchy Copy Cat Hat, which I chose to make again for no good reason other than I’ve ran out of berets to knit.

One of the many things I love about this yarn (Dream in Color Classy, in Gold Experience) is how soft and squishy it is – so soft and squishy that ribbing tends to get lost in it. You may not be able to tell from the photo, but the brim of the hat is knit in a k2, p2 rib.

Two similar stitch patterns + two different yarns = two very different results. Isn’t that the cool thing about knitting?

Saturday, 9 January, 2010 3:36 pm

Getting off to a great start for 2010!

2. Saturday, 9 January, 2010 5:13 pm

SO tedious! Especially the k1p1. I always have to tell myself that it is worth it in the end. It always is! And I love that gold yarn.

3. Saturday, 9 January, 2010 6:30 pm

yeah, I get impatient with ribbing too. But the yarn is so beautiful!

4. Saturday, 9 January, 2010 10:16 pm

Your KTBLs look very neat!
    Yes, nothing more tedious than ribbing but it’s all worth it in the end, right?

5. Sunday, 10 January, 2010 10:55 am

I love the look of a swathe of twisted rib. So neat and tidy! Yours is lovely.

6. Annegret permalink
    Sunday, 10 January, 2010 2:39 pm

I really like the ribbed pullover vest. The colour is fantastic!

Annegret