Christmas Knitting

Tuesday, 29 December, 2009
tags: ,

I didn’t mean to take an almost two month break from my blog! Allow me to take a brief moment to slap my own hand, beg your forgiveness, and swear it won’t happen again.

If I were to list all of things that are wonderful about my family it would be a very long list. And somewhere on that list would be their appreciation for my handknits. They all ask about what I’m knitting. They want to see what I’ve finished, even though what I’ve finished is only for them usually once a year. And when that once a year comes around they act as though what I’ve made for them is the most beautiful object they’ve ever laid eyes on.

Before we go any farther, I should warn you that the pictures you’re about to see are the result of my laziness. Instead of taking nice pictures before the items were gifted, I waited not only until after they’d been unwrapped, but also about 10 minutes before I went home. They’re a hurried, awful mess. Sorry.

What to make for my Dad? Really, if you have any suggestions for next year please tell me, because he’s gotten socks three years in a row. He wouldn’t wear a sweater or a scarf, maybe a plain hat but that’s nothing special, and gloves would be impracticable in his line of work.

There are just plain vanilla toe-up socks with a 3 1/2″ ribbed cuff. The yarn is JulieSpins MCN 355 in Forest Floor, and the cashmere in the yarn makes for a super comfy sock. I know this because I may have tried them on. Shh, don’t tell.

HelloKnitty’s Dad’s Socks – Ravelry Link

This is the worst picture ever. My brother is wearing Koolhaas out of Sundara sock in Black (I held the yarn doubled), and no, he doesn’t have a weird growth on the back of his head. It’s his ponytail.

I really enjoyed working on Koolhaas – it was the first time I did cables!

HelloKnitty’s Koolhaas – Ravelry Link

My mom swears up and down that she loves the felted slippers I made for her, and I hope that’s true, but they just didn’t turn out the way I had hoped. At first I thought they were a great idea for her, but after they were finished I thought of 80 different projects that would have been 500 times better.

I used two different yarns for this – Cascade 220 and Valley Yarns Northampton. Luckily they both felted at the same rate, although if I were to do it over again I would have made them couple sizes larger so the finished material was a little denser. I added on two little acorn buttons for an extra small touch.

HelloKnitty’s Mom’s Felted Slippers – Ravelry Link

I have three more non-Christmas finished projects to show you, and another that should be done by the end of the year!

1. Tuesday, 29 December, 2009 3:33 pm

Lovely stuff! I’m especially impressed with the slippers. I love felted things, but I’m so very allergic to wool, and I can’t really work with it or wear it, unfortunately.

• helloknitty permalink
      Thursday, 31 December, 2009 7:14 am

It makes me sad that you’re allergic to wool.

Did you ever start your Doctor Who scarf?

Tuesday, 29 December, 2009 5:13 pm

Are we not the luckiest family! True the hat is so much more beautiful (and so is her brother) than the picture shows. It is soft and the stitching not only amazing but feels spongy. The sock picture is good and they look super with his new shoes and SO much nicer than the white cotton socks he usually wears 😉 We have all been lucky enough to get some of the beautiful socks you have made and there is nothing boring about that gift. Now these are the neatest slippers! I absolutely got the best gift! The fit perfectly and are so comfortable and my favorite color – blue. The acorn buttons well…I love them. You for sure got your grandma’s talent! Your Aunt Judi used to knit too and I came across a picture of a sweater she made me when I was 17! The reason we all love your knitting gifts silly girl is because they are not only so well made and gorgeous but there is so much love knit into everything you make.

3. Tuesday, 29 December, 2009 9:14 pm

Oh please, everybody needs multiple pairs of socks. And we all know that handknit socks feel and look better than any other pair on the market, yes? Besides, the beauty of knitting for non-knitters is that they don’t notice any mistakes and can’t think of other patterns they like better. I’m sure your family is aware of how many hours goes into making each gift (knitting is a marathon, not a sprint!) and love you for it.

• helloknitty permalink
      Thursday, 31 December, 2009 7:14 am

You are so sweet <3.

4. Aunt Judi permalink
    Wednesday, 30 December, 2009 6:40 am

Wow! Beautiful stuff. So much talent in Idaho between your Dad, Mom, Matthew and you! Your Mom’s slippers are beautiful but I still don’t get how you made them look like that. Actually, there is a class at the local community college about knitting…not sure if I’m ready to take the plunge or not. At least I’d have someone I could call out an SOS if I got stuck. Keep up the good work!

• helloknitty permalink
      Thursday, 31 December, 2009 7:12 am

Aunt Judi you really, really should take the class! I get so much enjoyment out of knitting, and have from day one. It is so relaxing and always gives me something to do – I can’t just watch TV or sit in the car if Nate is driving.

5. Wednesday, 30 December, 2009 7:00 pm

Your first cables? They’re perfect. Now I’m tempted by the Koolhaas. But so many other things have to get done…

Happy new year!