High Street

Saturday, 18 April, 2009

When I was a freshman in high school I went to the Senior Citizens Thrift Store and bought myself a couple of old men’s vests. You know the type: v-neck, boxy, acrylic, subdued colors. I loved them, briefly, but by the time I graduated they were long gone.

My fashion sense in the last few years has regressed back to that time period, and I’ve found myself missing them. Like a good knitter, I decided to make my own. And I’m calling it High Street.

It’s the same basic design as the vests I loved back then, but updated to be a little more modern and lady like. It’s form fitting.

And has waist shaping.

It’s casual, yet nice enough that I can wear it to work and not look like a dowdy librarian.

This is where I need your input. Do you like this vest too? Would it be something you’d wear? I need to know. I’m thinking about turning into a real pattern, but I don’t want to if I’m the only one would wear it.

High Street.

Knit with just a hair over three skeins of Sundara Sport Merino in Flamenco Guitar, on size 5 needles.

High Street Vest pattern link

1. Saturday, 18 April, 2009 10:03 am

It’s beautiful, and it looks like it fits you well. Congratulations! I’m the wrong shape for a fitted vest, so I can’t help with your question. Enjoy anyway!

2. Saturday, 18 April, 2009 10:06 am

lovely work.

miss you.

3. Saturday, 18 April, 2009 10:36 am

Love it!

4. Saturday, 18 April, 2009 12:10 pm

I think it’s very flattering on you. Like PdxKnitterati, I am the wrong shape to wear a fitted vest (too much belly!) but it’s exatly the sort of thing my mum (a vest addict) would love!

Saturday, 18 April, 2009 6:38 pm

Great picture! I love the vest!!!!!!!!!!
    xoxooxox

6. KnitterKitter permalink
    Sunday, 19 April, 2009 1:27 pm

That vest is gorgeous! I am not a huge vest fan, but I would so wear that!!!

7. Tuesday, 21 April, 2009 6:12 pm

It’s gorgeous. I love it and would wear it all over town!

8. sydne permalink
    Wednesday, 29 April, 2009 1:28 pm

Hi Emily;
    You met me once in Sandpoint. (at the library – & lunch I think?)
    Your wonderful Mom shared your blog address with me and I’ve had a wonderful time looking at all of the delightful projects you’ve completed. I’m a knovice knitter and enjoyed seeing what you have accomplished. I cannot wait to get better myself.
    Thanks for sharing.

Sydne

9. Chery McLeod permalink
    Saturday, 2 January, 2010 1:10 pm

I love your vest. Have you written out the pattern? It is classic, flattering and straight forward. Looks like a winner

• helloknitty permalink
      Saturday, 2 January, 2010 2:15 pm

If you look on my blog the pattern is available on the right hand side where it says free patterns. Click where it says High Street Vest.

Trackbacks