Caplet turned Cardigan = Capigan

Tuesday, 9 September, 2008

My modified Anthropologie-Inspired Caplet is done!

I love it. I wore it to work today and it just seems like such a me thing to wear. I might have already bought yarn for a second one.

There were a lot of modifications from the original pattern. Obviously the length of the body and the sleeves, but also everything was measured perfectly to fit me so there were extra stitches here and there, I went with a different gauge and different needles (oh boy did I use different needles. I’ll explain in a sec), I only did ribbing on the collar and so on.

I’m fairly certain that I used size 9 needles for the body. But somewhere between the bind off of it and the start of the first sleeve I somehow ended up with a size 8 and a size 10, which I didn’t notice until I was picking up the stitches for the second sleeve. I wasn’t about to go back and frog an entire sleeve, and it didn’t look any different, so I continued, knitting the second sleeve in the same way. An 8 and a 10 even out to a 9, right?

I learned a valuable lesson making this capigan. After I had finished the body I decided I wanted to go back and take about an inch away from the collar. I figured it would be the same as ripping stitches from the bottom up, but let me tell you it is one great big giant pain in the ass. I managed to get the collar the way I wanted it, but not without a lot of effort.

I think it was worth it though!

Tuesday, 9 September, 2008 6:39 pm

Very cool Honey, I love it! I never can tell by the pictures if this is gray or a purple??? Love you!

2. Tuesday, 9 September, 2008 7:10 pm

Totally adorable! I love that pattern, and your mods. I knit the small version quite awhile ago, and I think it’s time for a longer one. It seems like the perfect sweater for our in-between weather.

3. Tuesday, 9 September, 2008 7:41 pm

Brilliant math! Yes, 8 and 10 average out to 9, and that means it’s all good. Nice work!

4. Tuesday, 9 September, 2008 8:27 pm

It is beautiful! Looks really comfy and drapes perfectly.

5. Tuesday, 9 September, 2008 11:20 pm

So pretty!

6. preita permalink
    Wednesday, 10 September, 2008 7:17 am

It looks super awesome! Great fit on you & what a wearable cardi!

7. Kim permalink
    Thursday, 2 October, 2008 12:51 pm

I love it and I really love the button at the top too. I can’t tell you used different sized needles. The seams are so well done and the neck line and band on the edges are beautifully done.

I still don’t understand how you can pick up and knit all the way around, I can pick up and knit but how does it work for a button band all the way around a cardigan?