I am not happy with these pictures

Friday, 23 May, 2008

I enjoyed knitting my Clapotis very much, but it didn’t inspire me to write. After you show the drop stitches once, how many more times can you photograph them? And when a knit is just row after row of stockinette stitch punctuated by drop stitches, there’s really not much to say.

But now it’s done. And I really, really like it.

I’ve always liked the way this shawl looks, but I never understood some knitters obsessions with it. But I get it now. It’s easy but interesting to work on, looks great when it’s done, and is the sort of shawl you can wear on a daily basis.

Usually when I finish a shawl I unpin it from blocking, take pictures for the blog, and then spirit it away to my bedroom, where it only comes out when I want to wear it. And I always wear it somewhere. To work. To my parents so my Mom can see it. Never just around the house.

But this is shawl I can throw over my shoulders when I get chilly on any old day. I have a feeling I’ll be making a couple more of these in the future.

I increased the middle section from 13 repeats to 17 so I could get maximum use out of the yarn. Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Mediumweight in Alina and size four needles. It’s big, stretching my wingspan, but I wanted it that way.

So what’s next? You’ll have to wait and see. But I will give you a hint. It’s not a shawl, but it starts with an S.

1. Friday, 23 May, 2008 8:23 am

Your clapotis is beautiful. Is that just one skein of STR? I haven’t felt the need to make a clapotis yet, but you’re getting to me. Am I just destined to make what you make? STR2 just needs binding off.

Could it be…socks, next?

2. helloknitty permalink
    Friday, 23 May, 2008 8:34 am

No, it took a little less than two. I think if I would have gone for 18 repeats instead of 17 I would have ran out of yarn.

It could be socks. : ) It could also be a sweater, a scarf, slippers, or any of the other knitted objects that start with S.

3. pdxknitterati permalink
    Friday, 23 May, 2008 9:09 am

Or a stole! But I know you like that skinny yarn, so the Siren Song of Socks may be calling…

4. Friday, 23 May, 2008 3:11 pm

I’ve never really understood the whole clap thing either, but yours is stunning. Your explanation makes me want to try one. Maybe.

5. helloknitty permalink
    Friday, 23 May, 2008 3:19 pm

Jacey I think what I like best about the clap is that if you have a couple skeins of yarn you really like, and you know you won’t get anymore, this is a great pattern that shows the yarn off. I also have two skeins of STR Mediumweight in Puck’s Mischief that I think are destined to become a clap.

6. Wednesday, 28 May, 2008 9:00 am

LOVE it. I can’t wait to start on one for me. Right now I’m working on one for someone who has since been a huge jerk (so my motivation is zip), but I have huge plans for some twisted from blue moon to make one of my very own.

It came out great!

7. Thursday, 5 June, 2008 6:34 am

That’s a very awesome Clapotis! I love the colours you used; very vibrant, yet still blending well. Kudos!