Infidelity

Thursday, 8 May, 2008

Reason would suggest that knitters are a dedicated, loyal bunch.

An average sock contains over 20,000 stitches. You’d have to be either barking mad or truly head-over-heals to create something you could buy at a store for a couple dollars for many times that amount when you figure not only the cost of the yarn but the hours and hours of labor each sock takes.

But deep down in every knitter, including myself, monogamy is a struggle. So many patterns, so many yarns, so many temptations to lead you astray.

And I beg your forgiveness because the reason it’s been a week between posts is because, well . . .

There was this knit-along I helped create and I couldn’t not cast on when everyone else was.

Yes, another Shetland Triangle. I adore this pattern.

I used Ball and Skein Artisan Merino and Silk. I found this yarn when searching for something similar to Sundara’s Aran Silky Merino, which is hard to come by. On the site it said the yarn was DK weight, but it’s not. It’s fingering.

When I realized the (rather large) discrepancy in weight I about choked. I had my heart set on doing this shawl with a heavier yarn, and I was afraid if I doubled the strands I wouldn’t have enough yardage. I went for it anyways, and I ended up with enough and a little to spare.

The end result is gorgeous. The color of the yarn and the pattern remind me of a wheat field. I used size 7 needles and the same number of repeats the pattern called for. I did the Brooklyn Tweed modification so my edges wouldn’t be pointy.

1. Thursday, 8 May, 2008 9:31 am

Beautiful! I think it looks like a summer day. And it’s all *your* fault that I am similarly slow in getting another blog post up. I finished my first Shetland Triangle just in time to join your KAL, and that’s been the week. Although I did find something else knitterly to post about…

Friday, 9 May, 2008 7:49 pm

Gee! I love the colors; beautiful work as always!
    xoxoox

Saturday, 10 May, 2008 3:47 am

Happy Birthday Honey!!!!!!! Wishing you a year full of good health, much love and many laughs. Dad and I love you VERY much!
    xoxoxo

4. Friday, 1 August, 2008 3:20 pm

You finished this in ONE week?
    Amazing!

5. Hillary permalink
    Friday, 29 January, 2010 1:19 am

your shawls are so beautiful that I want to cry! Oh, to be able to create such beauty. I’m not able to knit lace ….. yet. But am working on your Multnomah shawl and wondering how I could make it larger and still create the lovely feather and fan border.

But the yarn you use is wonderful!

6. elizabeth gloor permalink
    Monday, 19 April, 2010 7:14 am

I would love to knit this beautiful shawl. Would you please tell me how to find this pattern?

7. Saturday, 9 April, 2011 3:58 pm

Your shawl is beautiful. I love the colors and the pattern. Like Elizabeth P. would your tell me were I can get the pattern?
    Tammy

8. Saturday, 9 April, 2011 3:59 pm

I have put down the required fields. What is the problem?
    Tammy