Watershed

Monday, 9 August, 2010

I knit when I’m happy.

I knit when I’m sad.

I knit when I need to wake myself up in the morning, and when I get home from work to relax. It’s just what I do, as natural to me as breathing. Even miles of stockinette and endless rows of twisted rib keep me entertained.

And then there was this project. Watershed. I’ve never had so much fun knitting. The lace keeps it interesting, but it’s simple enough for mindless knitting in front of the TV. The construction is GENIUS. I finished it in five days because I didn’t want to put it down. I couldn’t wait to see what was coming next.

I’ve heard people say there are process knitters and there are product knitters. Process knitters enjoy learning new techniques and will choose to knit a pattern not only because it looks good, but also because the construction is interesting. Product knitters want the end result. It doesn’t matter if the pattern is tedious. I am, without a doubt, a product knitter but Watershed was so clever that I will likely knit it again. Not because of how it looks (which, I think, is very cute) but because I feel like I can study and learn from it. Like somehow understanding how this pattern works will make me a better knitter.

The only change I made was to lengthen the body from three repeats to five. And even with the added length, the size I made (medium) took only 400 yards of yarn. Two skeins of handpainted goodness and you’ve got yourself a great summer cardigan.

HelloKnitty’s Watershed – Ravelry Link

1. Monday, 9 August, 2010 9:53 am

Hello,
    this vest is really really beautiful! I like it very much.
    KnittingBetsy

2. Aunt Judi permalink
    Monday, 9 August, 2010 10:00 am

LOVE this one!!! Color, pattern and style. Great job!

Monday, 9 August, 2010 1:14 pm

Oh yeah! This would have to be in the top 5 things you have made – stunning!
    xoxooxox

4. Monday, 9 August, 2010 4:35 pm

It’s very nice! The lace is beautiful and the color… ouh! 5 days? You’re my hero ;-)

5. Tuesday, 10 August, 2010 10:03 am

Ohh I love it! I’ve been dying to see this cardi blocked. I’m queuing this pattern for sure. I want to see how it is constructed myself. So cute!

6. Tuesday, 10 August, 2010 11:06 am

This is adorable. I like the added length, and the back is so interesting. Maybe I’ll move this to the front of the line.

7. Tuesday, 10 August, 2010 11:59 am

Beautiful cardigan and great choice of yarn! I’ll be adding this one to my queue…however, I’ll do many more pattern repeats to make it longer. Not a fan of the cropped look…at least not on me. :-)

8. Tuesday, 10 August, 2010 4:13 pm

I love this cardigan, the color is beautiful and you look lovely. I like how the cardigan is longer then the original cropped version, very flattering.

9. Friday, 13 August, 2010 3:09 pm