Multnomah

Thursday, 13 August, 2009

Take one impossible to come by skein of yarn, add a dash of startitis, and stir in a spoonful of no pattern strikes my fancy. What do you get?

This shawl right here. I’m calling it Multnomah.

Multnomah county, in northwestern Oregon, is home to a place very near and dear to my heart: the city of Portland. While there are many reasons I love it, one thing that always stands out is how lush it is with vegetation. Trees and leafy vines grow absolutely everywhere.

The idea for this shawl was conceived while I was at home, but about 2/3 of the way through knitting it my husband and I made the 6 hour drive from our house to Portland. I’d been kicking several names around in my head, but nothing seemed right. Then we crossed the Multnomah county line. I looked at the landscape speeding by outside my window, then down at the knitting I had in my hands, and the colors of it were the same. And right then I knew my shawl finally had a name.

My version of Multnomah was knit out of Sanguine Gryphon Bugga! in Rainbow Scarab, but any fingering weight yarn will do. I’m offering this pattern for free, and you can download it here.

Multnomah – Ravelry pattern page

HelloKnitty’s Multnomah – Ravelry link

1. Sprocket permalink
    Friday, 14 August, 2009 3:12 am

GORGEOUS! Off to download now. Nice work.

2. Friday, 14 August, 2009 3:54 am

It’s lovely! I think I might just know what to do now with my odd skein of Bugga.

3. Kathy permalink
    Friday, 14 August, 2009 3:59 am

Very pretty. I’m always looking for patterns that use one skein of fingering. Thank you for making it available.

KathCFP on Ravelry.

Friday, 14 August, 2009 4:32 am

It is really beautiful! And I love the name – perfect!
    xoxoxooxox

5. Knitter Kitter permalink
    Friday, 14 August, 2009 5:32 am

It’s stunning! I love the color! Thank you for sharing the pattern for it also. It’s going into my Rave queue right now :)

6. Friday, 14 August, 2009 6:02 am

It is beautiful – and very, very Multnomah!!

7. Friday, 14 August, 2009 6:09 am

Great shawl and great story! I need to make it! :)

8. Friday, 14 August, 2009 7:17 am

What a beautiful shawl! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern — I’m definitely knitting one up. I *just* went to Portland and hiked in the Columbia River Gorge, so this pattern is so timely and perfect.

9. Yarn Panda permalink
    Friday, 14 August, 2009 7:28 am

Gorgeous shawl. I really love the color too.

10. Friday, 14 August, 2009 8:08 am

Absolutely LOVE it! Totally going in my Ravelry faves :)

11. Friday, 14 August, 2009 10:50 am

I already queued this on Ravelry. It’s gorgeous, and the yarn is really a perfect choice for the pattern you designed.

12. Friday, 14 August, 2009 11:30 am

Beautiful!

13. Friday, 14 August, 2009 2:17 pm

Whoa, a pattern named for my county! Very cool, and beautifully done. Those colors couldn’t be more Columbia Gorge. :-)

14. Saturday, 15 August, 2009 12:14 pm

That’s beautiful! I’m definitely going to have to make one.

15. Saturday, 15 August, 2009 11:51 pm

How fantastic! I was just glancing at your page and thought, “Hey, that’s nice” before I realized you wrote it! Very impressive.

16. Sunday, 16 August, 2009 5:07 pm

So pretty!! Love it!

17. Jaye permalink
    Monday, 17 August, 2009 9:23 am

I’ve put at least six WIPs aside to start this. It is so gorgeous! I’m about to start the fourth F & F repeat and it is lookin’ good. Thanks for such a pretty pattern.

18. Hilary Holland permalink
    Sunday, 6 September, 2009 8:59 am

I just wanted to tell you how much I love the Multnomah pattern! I am using Noro yarn this time and want to make it in about a zillion different yarns. Thank you! Thank you!!! Hilary

19. Julie permalink
    Sunday, 13 September, 2009 11:56 pm

Multnomah……beautiful. Oregon is my favorite state and Multnomah is one of my favorite places. This shawl is exactly as the place is. Thank you so much for sharing. I will be putting most everything aside to make this. For once I think I may have the perfect yarn for this. :)

20. Wednesday, 25 November, 2009 11:11 pm

Hello ,
    Some of my friends asked me to translate the pattern of your Multnomah shawl.Would you allow me to do it and to share it on my blog ? Of course , I’d put the link to yours !
    Thanks :o)

21. Sunday, 29 November, 2009 3:22 pm

I looooove this shawl, I’m making one for my sister and I just got to the feather n fan border the other day.. it’s so exciting and really looks beautiful!

I got some awesome yarn for it too, my favourite colours, Sockittome (Cherry Tree Hill) – Caribou Creek.. ahh its so nice. Thanks so much for the pattern.

My wife made one too, with a really ultra fine black baby alpaca yarn… its simply divine, and the yarn being so fine gives it a different look to the one you’ve used (and the one I’m using).. it makes it look really old style and delicate.

thanks again, R

22. Myrna permalink
    Thursday, 3 December, 2009 3:57 pm

Hello, Knitty! A friend brought her Multnomah to our weekly knit night, and I fell in love with it! GORGEOUS pattern and you made a great yarn choice! I adore the “stripe” on the spine–it’s truly unique.

I tried to download the pattern, though, and wasn’t able to. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there any way you could e-mail me the pdf?

Thanks!!

23. elsa permalink
    Monday, 1 February, 2010 10:11 am

thanks so much for sharing the Multmomah shawl pattern, very generous of you! I’m doing it next (finished the Citron and Daybreak shawls last month, doing the 10 shawls in 2010 from Ravelry), so it will be 3rd on my list of shawls to do!

24. cheri permalink
    Thursday, 22 April, 2010 9:03 am

If I wanted the shawl bigger would I just keep repeating the rows before the border or will that through off the numbers for the feather & fan?

25. Thursday, 20 May, 2010 2:46 am

Thanks for sharing the gorgeous pattern. I just love shawls and will have to knit this one.

26. Felicia permalink
    Thursday, 27 May, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks so much! I was just looking for shawl to make my daughter who moved to the east coast.

27. Monday, 20 September, 2010 2:52 am

Thanks so much for your pattern, it was a real pleasure to knit!

28. Sunday, 21 November, 2010 2:55 pm

Do you remove the markers on row 4 and reposition them beginning with row 1 for the repeats?
    Thanks

29. Wednesday, 17 August, 2011 2:26 pm

I recently bought a ball of Kauni Effektgarn in long repeats of shades of grey. I started the pattern last night and am totally in love with it. My first knitted shawl. Thank you so much for sharing such a carefully written pattern.

Trackbacks

11. Twenty Wishes Challenge - Page 23 - Frugal Village Forums
  12. Vote for Lace Class « A Novel Yarn
  13. a FO, a WIP and a neat picture. « Buttercup Knits
  14. Under Construction «
  15. Sew sew « Knitting up the ravelled sleeve of care
  16. Five Down, Five to Go. « The Autodidactic Dilettante
  17. And so it begins… « so now what?
  18. Christmas Vacation | Uli's Creative Corner
  19. Multnomah the Second « Ribbon Rose
  20. Where did I go? You ask? « Katinka Knits' Blog
  21. Playing with colour « Little Country Notes
  22. Knitting up the ravelled sleeve of care
  23. Finished « Knitting up the ravelled sleeve of care
  24. solace | block-a-day
  25. Cat with Cats»Blog Archive » Wednesday
  26. Two shawls « Knitting up the ravelled sleeve of care
  27. In the beginning « Handmade Homeschool
  28. We’ve got to hold on to what we’ve got « Toxophily
  29. Using what I have « Sew Enticing
  30. Knit One, Purl Too: A Knitlog » Blog Archive » Off to a good start.
  31. Snow Day! | Rob's Blog
  32. Supper Bowl « Handmade by Mikaiya
  33. How to knit lace without having a breakdown… « Rosee Woodland
  34. How to knit lace without having a breakdown… « Nana taught me how
  35. Vacation knitting |
  36. The Up Side of a Summer Cold | The Craft Blog
  37. The Up Side of a Summer Cold | Show Right Health
  38. The Up Side of a Summer Cold | Trending health tips
  39. F&F, who knew? | NorwichFearn
  40. Episode 6: Lace Interval « Cloudy with a chance of fiber
  41. Friday Gauge Check: Not-Very-Black Friday « Ripping Back
  42. Dagens oppskrift: Multnomah | Strikkeoppskrift.com
  43. Pine Cone Picking | Sown Brooklyn
  44. Cognitive dissonance | MRS M's MISCELLANY
  45. shawlette out of the pattern Multnomah Shawl in Shibui Sock yarn, color mulberry
  46. Where’s Richard Avedon? | Anti-Quotidian